Attorneys from the law firm of Arcadier & Associates, of Melbourne, Florida, discuss what to do if you have been served with a lawsuit.

If you are served with a lawsuit you must file a responsive pleading before the expiration of the time to respond expires. In Florida, this is not oftentimes easy to determine because where the Complaint is filed and the type of complaint that is filed, carries different time periods. For instance, an eviction proceeding may need to be answered within 5 days of service, while a typical Federal Complaint served, needs to be answered within 30 days of service. In Florida State Courts, the typical suit needs to be answered within 20 days of service.Protecting Your Legal Rights

In any event, if you are served with a complaint, many of your rights can be waived if you do not assert them at time of answering. For instance, in a typical State Court complaint, if, with your answer, you do not plead affirmative defenses, your rights to those defenses may be compromised or waived.

That is why when you are served with a complaint, it is imperative that you seek immediate legal counsel to address the particular and indivualized facts of your case. No two cases are identical, so please bear that in mind.

More Information:
lawsuit, served, help, service of process, time to respond, waiver of rights, Florida

Maurice Arcadier
Date Filed:
March 1, 2011

Our Melbourne office is centrally located in Brevard County, enabling our lawyers to serve clients throughout “the Space Coast”, including Cocoa Beach, Palm Bay and Vero Beach.

Client Review

“I continue to be impressed and grateful for Maurice Arcadier’s depth of knowledge, methodical, measured and fair legal guidance. I’ve worked and conducted business across 15 countries, but here at home, he and his law firm feel just as much business partners as legal counsel. The perspective and consideration he offers remains more-than-valuable to me as I navigate each new business endeavor. I would wholeheartedly recommend Maurice to anyone !”
Demetri K
Client Review

For a Consultation