Why You Should Have a Trademark Lawyer
Trademark Attorney Melbourne, FL
Registering a trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) is $275, as a trademark attorney Melbourne, FL trusts can attest. Cash strapped entrepreneurs might feel this fee is expensive enough leading them to believe hiring a trademark lawyer is out of the question.
Although you can take the DIY route and file a trademark on your own, it might not save you the money you had hoped for. If you fill out your trademark application wrong, it could be denied. You will lose your $275 and be required to start the process again. On the other hand, you may need to spend several hours responding to various issues brought forth by the examining Melbourne, FL trademark lawyer at the USPTO. Finally, as stated on the USPTO website, “Some trademark owners may have valid and protected trademark rights that do not result from federal registration with the USPTO, and those marks may not appear in the USPTO’s Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) database.” The USPTO advises applicants to hire a trademark lawyer who can perform a comprehensive search with your proposed mark than you will be able to carry out using the TESS database.
- What a Trademark Lawyer in Melbourne, FL Can Do For You
- Trademark lawyers have extensive experience in:
- Trademark search
- Trademark application and registration
- Trademark litigation
- Trademark cancellation
- General counsel on trademarks and intellectual property matters
Benefits of Retaining a Trademark Lawyer
When it comes to registering a trademark, the procedure is very strict and carries deadlines. A Melbourne, FL trademark lawyer can:
- Identify problems that could arise during the registration process.
- Evaluate the strength of your trademark.
- Help you to make a decision on choosing the right mark.
- Explain how the mark can and cannot be used.
- Prepare an application that meets all of the requirements laid out by the USPTO.
- Advise you on the chances of being approved or denied.
- Respond to any matters that arise after the application has been filed.
- Help you to enforce your legal rights in the future.
- Defend your trademark in a litigation matter.
Potential Problems with Registering a Trademark on Your Own
The trademark registration process is not exactly as easy as it may first appear. In fact many DIY applicants are denied on their first application because they misunderstood the requirements. Common mistakes include:
- Choose the wrong filing basis.
- Submitting the wrong specimen.
- Choosing the wrong class of trademarks.
- Misidentifying goods and services.
These mistakes can be costly and required the services of a trademark lawyer to fix them. Realistically it may be in your best interest to hire a trademark lawyer who can get it done right, the first time.
Consult a Trademark Lawyer Today
A trademark could be one of your business’s most valuable forms of intellectual property. Before you decide to take the matter into your own hands, you should consult a Melbourne, FL trademark lawyer for personalized advice. In doing so, you can ensure the trademark filing process goes as smoothly as possible.
If you would like to find out whether or not your trademark has already been filed, or are ready to start the registration process, call a trademark lawyer Melbourne, FL trusts today from Arcadier, Biggie & Woods, PLLC.