Discharging Debt Lawyer Melbourne, FL
In the United States, debt has become a serious problem for many Americans. With the Coronvirus making way into the country, there has been a surge in bankruptcy applications. Although many people might think bankruptcy is their only option, a discharging debt lawyer in Melbourne, FL might discuss alternative solutions.
Before you make any decision, talk with a debt and bankruptcy lawyer Melbourne, FL has to offer. Call Arcadier, Biggie & Wood, PLLC, today for a case review.
The Difference Between Debt Settlement and Bankruptcy
Bankruptcy is a great solution for some, and not practical for others. If you need financial relief, Arcadier, Biggie & Wood, PLLC, invites you for a consultation where we’ll find out what you need to get a fresh start. We have been helping individuals, couples, and businesses discharge their debt in the most efficient way possible. Find out how we can help you. Call a discharging debt lawyer in Melbourne, FL today.
Understanding Debt Settlement
Debt settlement is not the same as bankruptcy. It involves a process between you, your lawyer, and creditors to reduce your payments; therefore, your overall debt. The benefits of this over bankruptcy include:
- You may be able to pay less than what is owed
- Interest and late fees may be reduced or waived
- Creditors will stop harassing you
- Your credit report won’t be as impacted
While you could technically try to attempt this negotiation on your own, you will likely not get very far. Creditors are very good with words, and they understand you may be limited with your legal knowledge and negotiating skills. They might also tell you that it is not possible to negotiate your debt or offer you a deal that is not good enough. When you have a discharging debt lawyer in Melbourne, FL on your side, it shows them you are taking your situation very seriously. You increase the chances of reaching a settlement deal that is much more acceptable.
There are two primary bankruptcy options: Chapter 7 and Chapter 13. Both help to reduce or eliminate credit card debt, medical debt, and other forms of debt. To file Chapter 7, you must meet certain criteria, and you risk losing some or all of your assets. Chapter 13 gives you the option to consolidate all your debt and make monthly payments for 3 to 5 years. Once this period has passed, a judge can choose to eliminate the rest of your debt. Which option is right for you will depend on your situation. A discharging debt lawyer in Melbourne, FL can help you to understand whether this is a possible solution.
A judgment is an official legal document that declares a debt is owed, and you are the debtor. Judgements are issued by the court, and signed by a judge. It gives creditors the right to collect the debt. In general, when a collector is not getting anywhere through phone calls, emails, and other methods, they may seek a judgement. If you have gotten a judgement and are concerned about wage garnishments or a lawsuit, call Arcadier, Biggie & Wood, PLLC. We can discuss what is going on and let you know what might be best for your situation.
Discharging Debt Lawyer in Melbourne, FL
The thought of having to file for bankruptcy is not appealing for many people. It is one of the last things people want to do to solve their financial problems. You may be concerned about the damage it does to your credit, and it may affect what type of loans you will be eligible and approved for. The security of your assets is another pressing issue that may cause you to be hesitant about filing for bankruptcy. While bankruptcy does come with its disadvantages, it also does come with positive solutions, especially in the long-term. Though bankruptcy is a last resort, it may be the more preferable, or best solution for people dealing with particular financial circumstances.
Here are some of the main benefits of filing for bankruptcy:
- Eliminates many types of debt you are unable to pay. Bankruptcy can discharge a variety of debt, such as medical bills, credit card debt, utility bills, and judgements on foreclosures. Lenders will no longer be allowed to collect payments from the debtor. It is important to understand though that bankruptcy is not capable of eliminating certain types of debt, such as student loans.
- Allows you to start fresh. Bankruptcy allows people to start over and begin building back their credit. The effect of bankruptcy on a credit score is cited as one of the top points of concern most people have when it comes to filing for bankruptcy. However, as a bankruptcy lawyer Melbourne, FL can explain, if an individual files for bankruptcy their credit score does gradually recover over several years. Bankruptcy appears on your record for 7-10 years and it does lower your credit score in the short-term, but many people start to see their credit score improve soon after filing for bankruptcy. If they consistently make their payments on time, they will see that their credit score can increase to a healthy range.
- Delays or prevents foreclosure. Homeowners who fail to make their mortgage payments can be at risk of foreclosure. One of the benefits of filing for bankruptcy is that it can allow homeowners to delay that process or prevent it from occurring. The court will issue an automatic stay so that debtors are able to keep their property. Speak to a bankruptcy lawyer to discuss which type of bankruptcy is more likely to help you keep your home.
Legal Assistance is Available
To see if bankruptcy is the right choice for you, contact a trusted discharging debt lawyer that Melbourne, FL residents depend on at the Law Offices of Arcadier, Biggie & Wood to schedule a consultation.
For a consultation with a bankruptcy and discharging debt lawyer in Melbourne, FL, call Arcadier, Biggie & Wood, PLLC.