Birth Injury Lawyer Melbourne, FL
A respected and experienced birth injury lawyer trusted by Melbourne, Florida residents knows that all parents want their baby to be in full health. Unfortunately, complications during birth do occur and sometimes they are due to medical negligence that results in a birth injury. A small error made by a medical professional during delivery can have life-long consequences on the child. This experience is traumatic for both the mother and child. If you have received improper medical care that has led to the harm of your child during birth, consider talking to a lawyer about how you can bring a claim for the responsible doctor or medical professional.
Birth Injury Lawyer in Melbourne, FL
The legal team at the Law Offices of Arcadier, Biggie & Wood have handled numerous types of personal injury cases, such as car accidents, HIPAA, negligence and professional malpractice. Having helped and assisted clients for years, they have a strong record for providing quality legal advice and representation. They are knowledgeable about the strategies and techniques to take on challenging cases of all levels of litigation, like those involving hospitals and large companies. To learn more about how they can help you with your birth injury case, schedule an appointment now to get started.
If you have a pressing legal matter that you need urgent advice for, we are happy to assist you. Our team of skilled lawyers are ready to be there for you during this challenging time. We want to help you find the right solution to your legal concerns and issues so that you can be properly compensated and gain the peace of mind that you deserve.
How Birth Injuries Occur
The arrival of a child should be an exciting and joyous time for parents. Whether it’s their first child or a new addition to their growing family, welcoming a new baby should bring wonder and happiness. When an issue suddenly occurs that complicates childbirth,
Though most deliveries occur without any issue or complication, some result in birth injuries. A birth injury is any injury that an infant sustains before, during, or shortly after the birthing process. It can happen regardless of the health of the mother. It is one of the most traumatic and devastating injuries because it can permanently affect an infant for their rest of their life. A birth injury can be life-threatening if not treated properly in time. Birth injuries can happen in several different ways. Some of the most common injuries include a lack of oxygen, also known as hypoxia, and injuries caused by the improper use of medical instruments such as forceps.
Though complications during birth are sometimes anticipated by both families and their medical team, some incidents occur because of a medical professional’s errors. Such mistakes can result in medical malpractice. If a doctor or other medical professional makes even a small mistake, they can be held liable for their negligent actions. As a Melbourne, FL birth injury lawyer can explain, if this happens the victim has the legal right to file a claim against the doctor or other worker in the delivery room. Common reasons for birth injuries include the following:
- Improper forcep use. If there are issues during delivery, a doctor may decide to use forceps to move the child. An improper use of forceps can deprive the child of oxygen or cause nerve or tissue damage.
- Cesarean section (C-section) errors. If traditional birth is not an option, a doctor may propose an emergency C-section. However, if a C-section is delayed, it can cause severe harm to the child or mother. This action may be considered medical negligence.
- Lack of oxygen (hypoxia). When tissues are deprived of oxygen, the condition is called hypoxia. If this occurs during birth, the baby can suffer a variety of cognitive disabilities or other long-term health conditions. If an umbilical cord is tangled for example, it can lead to hypoxia in the child.
- Trauma sustained during childbirth. Issues can occur during the childbirth process, which can result in harm to the mother or child. This includes improper injection of an epidural or other error.
- Brain injuries. If medical professionals are not careful, they can accidentally cause the child to suffer from a brain injury. Consequences of a brain injury include tissue damage and developmental issues.
- Failure to monitor the child or mother. Doctors and other medical professionals must constantly monitor the mother and child throughout the labor and delivery process, ensuring that their vital signs are good and that they don’t miss any issues that occur.
Types of Birth Injuries
Birth injuries span a variety of issues and conditions. From cognitive defects to stillbirths, birth injury lawyers specialize in assisting clients who have goneBrain damage is one of the most common types of birth injuries, which happen when not enough oxygen is being delivered to the brain, causing brain cells to deteriorate and die. Some other types of birth injuries that attorneys often see in cases include:
- Cerebral palsy. Lack of oxygen can result in cerebral palsy, which causes development impairments. It is an umbrella term for many types of conditions that affect a child’s physical and cognitive growth. Medical errors are a common cause of cerebral palsy.
- Jaundice. When a child experiences trauma during the birthing process, they can develop jaundice. It is when a child’s skin has a yellowish tinge due to a build up of a substance called bilirubin in the blood.
- Hemorrhage. Neonatal hemorrhagic disease can be caused by minimal levels of vitamin K. If it is not treated properly, the child may require a blood transfusion or suffer from blood disorders like anemia.
- Fractures. Infants can suffer from fractures if they are injured during the delivery process. One of the most common types of fractures that newborns suffer from is a clavicle fracture, which can occur during birth.
- Stillbirth. Medical errors or negligence committed during labor and delivery can result in a stillbirth.
Complications From Birth Injuries
The consequences of a birth injury range from mild to severe, and some are often permanent. An infant who suffers a particularly severe brain injury may develop physical and cognitive disabilities, so they might need treatment for the rest of their life. Their quality of life may be significantly decreased. Their treatments may be ongoing, which can cause a financial burden on the family. Cognitive disorders, behavioral issues, sensory issues, and mental disorders are common long-term effects from brain damage sustained during birth.
More severe types of brain damage include serious symptoms such as convulsions, numbness, loss of consciousness, or coma. The symptoms may appear immediately or after a few days, but some do not show until weeks later. Other problems that children who suffer brain damage experience following complications during birth include:
- Speech issues
- Headaches or migraines
- Loss of balance
- Issues with motor skills
- Sensory issues (vision, ringing in ears, etc.)
- Difficulty managing emotions
- Trouble thinking or concentrating
- Mental disorders (depression, anxiety, etc.)
- Irregular sleeping patterns
Throughout their life, a brain injury victim may become dependent on a number of devices and ongoing treatment for the disability or condition. This includes medications, assistive devices like hearing aids, and rehabilitative services. A lawyer can include these expenses while they create a list of damages that should be covered in any settlement offer.
How a Lawyer Can Help You
If your child’s birth injury was preventable, a lawyer can assist you in taking legal action against the responsible party. They can review the medical records to understand which medical professionals contributed to your child’s injury. As a parent, having your child suffer a birth injury is one of the most devastating experiences. You have a right to file a claim so that the negligent parties can be pursued. Birth injury cases are one of the most complex types of personal injury cases that lawyers handle. In order to obtain successful results after a birth injury case, they must have a strong knowledge of the healthcare system, laws, and the skills to build a case argument against the hospital’s own experienced legal team. The risk for taking on these cases are especially high, and only experienced lawyers have the ability to take them on. If you need legal assistance from a top birth injury attorney, contact our office today to get started.
Call Now to Schedule a Consultation
Birth injuries can result in serious and life-changing consequences for a child, the mother and their families. Personal injury lawyers understand how it can be difficult to consider filing a claim after such a traumatic experience, but it is crucial that the liable parties are held fully accountable so that victims obtain justice. The damage and trauma sustained due to a birth injury may not be reversible, but you may be entitled to a high amount of compensation that can go toward your medical expenses. While the damage can not be reversed, compensation can go a long way to aid in recovery so that you can move forward from the difficult experience. Contact a birth injury lawyer that Melbourne, FL trusts and respects to discuss your case options.