Immigration Law, Form N-445: What should I do if I cannot go to my oath ceremony?

Immigration Law, Form N-445: What should I do if I cannot go to my oath ceremony?

Immigration Law and Application of Form N-445

You are now ready to become a United States Citizen, you have held a green card for five years (three if you have been married to a U.S. Citizen), and you have gone through the Naturalization paperwork, passed the English and U.S. History Exam, and you are ready to become a United States naturalized citizen, but, you are unable to take the oath at the oath ceremony at the scheduled date and time.immigration law, rescheduling oath ceremony, Form N-445

Don’t be too concerned: if you cannot go to the oath ceremony, you should return the “Notice of Naturalization
Oath Ceremony” (Form N-445) that you received to your local USCIS office. Include
a letter saying why you cannot go to the ceremony. Make a copy of the notice Form N-445 and your letter before you send them to USCIS.  It is very advisable to mail in your paperwork using certified mail or other expedited registered mail such as UPS or Fed-Ex.

Your local USCIS office will reschedule you and send you a new “Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony” (Form N-445) to tell you
when your ceremony will be. Normally, the rescheduling process will take approximately 2 months to be rescheduled. Until you have taken the oath, you should be mindful that you are not a U.S. Citizen, and that you must note vote or represent yourself as a U.S. Citizen, as any such representations constitute violations of the law and can result in you permanently being denied U.S. Citizenship.

If you have any questions on this process, or if other complexities arise, it is always wise to consult with a qualified and experienced immigration attorney. Simple mistakes can make an easy process turn into expensive and complex issues which can significantly delay your ability to become naturalized, or otherwise, hinder the process altogether.

Client Review

“I continue to be impressed and grateful for Maurice Arcadier’s depth of knowledge, methodical, measured and fair legal guidance. I’ve worked and conducted business across 15 countries, but here at home, he and his law firm feel just as much business partners as legal counsel. The perspective and consideration he offers remains more-than-valuable to me as I navigate each new business endeavor. I would wholeheartedly recommend Maurice to anyone !”
Demetri K
Client Review